Associate Professor of the Physics Department
University of Rome "Tor Vergata"Back to main page.
- Present position: Associate Professor at the University of Rome "Tor Vergata"
- 2017-2004: Researcher at the University of Rome Tor Vergata
- 2004-1999: INFM Researcher
- 1998-1996: Post-doc at the University of Rome Tor Vergata
- 1996-1995: Associated Researcher at the ENEA Casaccia research center
- 1995-1994: INFM Associated Researcher at the University of Rome "Tor Vergata"
- 1994-1991: PhD fellow in Physics at the University of Rome "Tor Vergata"
- December 1989: "Laurea cum laude" in Physics at the University of Rome "Tor Vergata"
After a stage in experimental Condensed Matter Physics on the optical properties of defects and color centers in isolant matrices, I am working, since 1991, in the field of first-principles calculations of the structural and electronic properties of materials. During my PhD thesis, I started to focus on ab-initio calculations, within the density functional theory and many-body perturbation theory, studying of the electronic properties of bulk wide band-gap semiconducting compounds, including self-energy corrections. After 1996 I worked on the electronic, linear and non linear optical properties of several semiconducting and metal surfaces, clean or covered with atomic and molecular adsorbates. In particular I am expert of reflectance anisotropy and surface differential reflectivity spectra calculations. Trough my work, I earned expertise in computational physics and became familiar with the most modern theories and computational tools of first--principles electronic structure calculations (Car Parrinello, GW method, exciton calculation BSE, parallelization).
Research activity since 1990 in CONDENSED MATTER PHYSICS. Author of more than 100 articles in international peer-reviewed journals.
Since many years I am referee for Phys. Rev. B, Phys. Rev. Letters, Applied Physics Letters, Chem Phys. Letters and other Elsevier and ACS journals.
I am Editorial Board Member for Scientific Reports a journal from Nature Publishing Group.
I have been associate editor of "Novel materials for energy production and storage" appeared in Current Opinion in Green and Sustainable Chemistry, pubklished by Elsevier in 2019
I have been "project reviewer" for the American National Science Foundation (NSF), for the French National Research Agency (ANR), for the Austrian Science Fund (FWF), for the Estonian National Science Fundation and for PRACE and ISCRA-Cineca supercomputing projects.
- Visiting Professor at ICQMS Shanghai University, Prof. W. Ren 3-8 June 2019
- Visiting Professor at Caltech Dept. of Applied Physics Prof. M. Bernardi July 2016 and July 2017.
- Visiting Professor at MIT Dept. of Material Science Group Prof. J.C. Grossman Summer 2012, January 2013, July 2014,March 2015, July 2018.
- Visiting Professor at Dept. of Chemistry University of Tokyo 1-11 March 2017
- ESF Short Visit Grant 8-13 July 2013 awarded to collaborate with Dr. E. Cannuccia (Grenoble) and Dr. A. Marini (CNR-Rome) on ab-initio electronic and optical spectra of materials beyond the "state of the art" clamped nuclei approximation.
- Research related to publication on Ultra-thin Photo-Voltaics published on NanoLetters 2013 appeared on the MIT news and and interview on the Huffington Post
- Opto-electronic properties of novel 2D materials from DFT + post-DFT methods, ICQMS Shanghai University 5 June 2019
- Novel 2D materials for opto-electronic applications: insight from refined ab-initio simulations Universitè Paris-Sud Orsay 4 March 2019
- 'Fundamental properties of materials from ab-initio methods" (keynote talk) Nanoscience and Nanodevices Frascati 18-20 December 2018
- 'Novel 2D materials for opto-electronic applications: insight from parameter-free quantum mechanical methods"' 10-12/9/18 NanoMaterials for Devices Montreal, Canada
- 'Novel 2D materials for opto-electronic applications: insight from parameter-free quantum mechanical methods"' 11-14/9/18 NanoInnovation2018, Rome Italy
- 'Transition Metal Dichalcogenides: a new class of 2D materials for opto-electronics' 2/3/18 MIFP march meeting Marino Italy
- '2D Transition Metal Dichalcogenides: fundamental properties and applications' 23/2/18 Department of Chemistry University of Perugia
- 'MoS2 and its family : fundamental properties and applications' Osi12 26-29 June 2017 Dublin
- 'Ab-initio optical properties of materials: BSE usual approximations and practical implementaion' Cecam school Lausanne 24-28 Aprile 2017
- "Fundamental properties of Transition Metal Dichalcogenides:a novel class of 2D materials for opto-electronic applications" Nanoscience and Nanotecnology meeting 2016 26-29 Settembre 2016
- "Transition Metal Dichalcgenides: 2D materials for next generation opto-electronic devices" Fall Meeting EMRS 2016 Settembre 18-22 2016 http://www.european-mrs.com/carbon-and-materials-energy-applications-emrs
- 'Light absorption and exciton radiative lifetimes in two-dimensional transition metal dichalcogenides' Nanoscience and Nanotechnology 2015 INFN Frascati 28 Sept-2 Oct 2015
- 'Novel layered Materials for solar harvesting applications", EMRS-2014 Fall Meeting Warsaw 15-19 September 2014
- 'Two-Dimensional Materials for ultrathin optoelectronic devices', ETSF Meeting Luxemburg 1-4 October 2013
- "Two-dimensional nanosheets for opto-electronic applications" , Weekly Theoretical-Condensed-Matter-Physics "Philippe Nozières" Seminar & Monthly CPTG Colloquium, CNRS Grenoble 12 July 2013
- "Novel nanoscale materials for optoelectronic and Solar Energy Harvesting applications" NanoCenter Annual Conference 2013, Royal Rimonim Dead Sea Hotel April 3-4 2013
- "Monolayer materials for tunable polymer-free excitonic solar cells", Crystal & Graphene Science Symposium-2012 Waltham, 5-6 September 2012
- "Silicon and Germanium nanostructures for opto-electronic and photo-voltaic applications: ab-initio results", "MRS Fall Meeting" Boston, 29 November-3 December 2010
- "Materials for opto-electronic applications: ab-initio calculations and modelling", "Nanoscience and Nanothecnology workshop N&N2010" INFN, Frascati 20-23 September 2010
- "Quasi-particles and excitons in Silicon Nanowires: effect of Doping and Surface Termination and mixing" OSI-VIII 7-11 September 2009 Ischia
- "Quasi-particles and excitons in Silicon Nanowires: effect of Doping and Surface Termination" Cecam Workshop 6-8 July 2009 Lausanne
- "Electronic properties and dielectric response of semiconducting surfaces and nanostrutures from ab-initio approaches" Nanosea2008 7-10 July 2008 MontePorzio Catone, Rome Italy
- "Semiconducting nanowires: from one-particle to many-body approaches" Cecam-Psi-K Workshop 9-12 June 2008 Lyon France
- "First-principles optical spectra of semiconducting surfaces and nanowires: the role of the excitonic effects", 12th Nanoquanta Workshop 18-22 September (2007), Aussois France
- "First-Principles optical and energy loss spectra of one-dimensional nanostructures of Silicon", Epioptics 2006, Erice 20-26 July (2006)
- "Semiconductor nanowires: ab-initio electronic and optical properties beyond the one-particle approach", OSI 2005, Aalborg, Denmark 6-10 June, (2005)
- "First--principles optical spectra of semiconductor surfaces: from one-particle to many-body approach", Epioptics-7 20-26 July 2002
Organization and Management Experiences
- Member of the Organizer Committee of the International Nanoquanta Conferences from 2002 to 2005.
- Member of the Organizer Committee of the International Workshops NW2010, NW2011,NW2012
- Member of the Organizer Committee of an International Cecam workshop 3-6 June 2013 "Theory, Simulation and Modelling of SiGe Nanostructures: from Nanoelectronics to Renewable Energy"
- Since 2001 partecipated to the drawing up of several National and European Scientific Projects
- Since 2001 Project Manager and Member of several CNR-INFM and ISCRA supercalculus projects
- PI and member of scientific teams to carry out several ETSF collaborative and training proposals
- PI of Mission Sustainability Project on 2D materials (2017-2019)
- PI of an European PRACE HPC-CProject on many-body effects in 2D materials (2018)
- I Hosted two European researchers within the HPC-Europa2 Transnational Access programme
- I have been supervisor and co-supervisor of several Master Degree and PhD students: A. D'Auria (Univ. Tor Vergata Physics Degree 2016) G. Bellucci (Univ. Tor Vergata Master Degree in Materials Science 2016) E. Tomo (Univ. Tor Vergata Physics Degree, 2012), P. Bagala' (Univ. Tor Vergata, Master Degree in Physics 2009), M. Amato (Univ. Modena PhD 2010), M. Bruno (Univ. Tor Vergata, PhD in Physics 2008) and others.
- A.A. 2000-2001 and 2001-2002, Univ. Tor Vergata, Course of Classical Physics, Assistant Professor
- From A.A. 2004-2005 to 2006-2007, Univ. Tor Vergata, Matematical Methods for Material Science, Professor
- A.A. 2002-2010, Univ. Tor Vergata, Course of Atomic and Molecular Physics, Assistant Professor
- From A.A. 2007 to A.A 2010, Univ. Tor Vergata, Course of Solid State Physics, Professor
- Since A.A. 2011-2012, Univ. Tor Vergata, Course of Solid State Physics, Professor
- A.A. 2011-2012, Univ. Tor Vergata, Lessons for PHD students in Physics at Tor Vergata Univ.: "introduction to Many-Body Perturbation Theory"
- A.A. 2012-2013, Univ. Tor Vergata, Lessons on Green-Functions and Many-Body Perturbation Theory within the Course of "Quantum Theory of Matter" (Prof. Pulci)
- Since 2012-2013, Univ. Tor Vergata, Material Science Degree Course of "Theory of Solids and Molecular Models", Professor